HOLLEBEKE and PALINGBEEK

HOME
palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

palingbeek

hollebeke

While the village of Hollebeke, its Chateau, and the railway line fell into German hands at the end of October 1914 along with much of the area surrounding Ypres, the banks of the canal remained in British hands for most of the War. The boggy ground adjacent to the canal was subject to constant shelling and undermining. The high bank at the Bluff was the highest ground held by the British in the area and was crucial in providing some ability to dominate the surrounding land. Unfortunately it was lost in the German spring advance of 1918 when the line came very close indeed to Ypres.

While the village of Hollebeke is now a modern and completely redeveloped area, the canal has never seen use since the war. This section of the canal forms the Palingbeek Provinciaal Domein, a recreational area popular with joggers at all times of the day and extremely popular with the citizens of Ypres for a Sunday afternoon family walk. There are a few stretches of water, and some ruined locks choked with trees and reeds.

Sheltering behind the railway embankment at the Hollebeke, eastern, end of the Palingbeek reserve is a line of German bunkers. These originally were connected by tunnels to defensive positions on the western side of the embankment facing the British positions. They are now broken and overgrown and lying in stagnant lagoons full of vegetation.

HOME